Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Durant and Green to Go to Summer School

When their rookie season ends, Sonics rookies Kevin Durant and Jeff Green are going back to college to work on their degrees. Refreshingly, both realize there will be life after basketball.

"Even though I love the game, I can't play forever and you can't do nothing without the degree," Durant said. "So I got to get it sooner or later. It's going to take awhile, but I'd rather it take awhile than not having one."

Durant was never much of a bookworm and he laughed when describing plans to attend summer classes at Texas. "Man, if some of my teachers could hear me talking like this they would get a kick out of this," he said. "But I'm not going to lie. I miss school. When I left, I was glad that I didn't have to go to class anymore and study hall, but I kind of miss it a little bit."

Green declared for the NBA Draft after three years at Georgetown. He's excited to have the opportunity to earn his degree. "That's going to mean a lot to me and to my mother," he said. "She cried at my high-school graduation. I know my dad will be all in tears. That's something that he never did. I know he'll cry. And I will too."

Green is just twenty-four credits way from graduating with a major in sociology, but he might shift his focus to business. "I don't know yet, but I want to take some classes just to see how it is," he said. "I want to try to get in touch with Magic Johnson. He's a guy that I look up to, basketball-wise, and the things he did off the court. I want to just to start thinking about the future."

Durant and Green will not play with the Sonics summer league team in Orlando.

0 comments:

About the Undrafted Free Agent

Ron Crimson was the only player on the high school roster to not get in a game. He couldn't argue with the decision, because he sucked. Needless to say, yet stated anyway, when he entered the NBA draft following his sophomore season in college, he went undrafted. Now, Ron Crimson is the Undrafted Free Agent.

Contact the Undrafted Free Agent

Interested in informing the Undrafted Free Agent of his mistakes, advertisement opportunities, or a scoop on the latest sports scandal? (You can guess which is more likely.) Well, email him at undraftedfreeagent [at] gmail.com.

Look at This!

There's nothing here; I just needed to fill some space. Space eater! Space eater! Space eater! Space eater! Space eater! Space eater! Space eater! Space eater! Space eater! I also needed to balance it out a bit.

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP