Saturday, March 22, 2008

Stephen Jackson to Fight Poverty in Africa

Which NBA player is going to Africa on a poverty-fighting mission?

Golden State's Stephen Jackson probably wouldn't be the first to mind. For most fans, he would be among the last few. Imagine my surprise as I stumbled across this story this morning.
Jackson said he and Grammy Award-winning rhythm and blues singer John Legend will be making a two-week trip to Africa during the Warriors' offseason on behalf of Legend's Show Me Campaign to help fight poverty in small villages on the continent.

"I always wanted to go to Africa, but I didn't just want to go on vacation," Jackson said. "Here's my opportunity to go for a purpose and help somebody, so I'm happy I can do that."

Legend teamed Friday with Jackson and the Warriors to help promote his cause. Legend sang the national anthem before the Warriors-Rockets game at Oracle Arena and also performed at halftime. Jackson donated $7,500 dollars to the Show Me Campaign, $500 for each of the 15 points he scored in the Warriors' 109-106 loss to the Rockets.

"When I talked to (Legend) on the phone, he said to make sure I got 40 (points)," Jackson joked during a pregame press conference.
Apparently, Jackson and the Warriors have worked to repair his public image following arrests, suspensions, and the brawl in Detroit while playing with Indiana.

That being said, it doesn't seem like the trip to Africa is stagged for image-related purposes. "I know that we have nothing to complain about, considering what they're dealing with out there," Jackson said. "(Jeffrey Sachs' book, The End of Poverty: Economic Possibilities for Our Time) really opened my eyes to how unfortunate these people are. I want to be involved in it. When John Legend came around and gave me the opportunity, I just jumped on it."

For the first time, I can say maybe a few more NBA players should follow Jackson's lead.

1 comments:

Anonymous,  May 17, 2008 at 4:56 PM  

"I always wanted to go to Africa, but I didn't just want to go on vacation," Jackson said. "Here's my opportunity to go for a purpose and help somebody, so I'm happy I can do that."
thanks very much for sharing!

About the Undrafted Free Agent

Ron Crimson was the only player on the high school roster to not get in a game. He couldn't argue with the decision, because he sucked. Needless to say, yet stated anyway, when he entered the NBA draft following his sophomore season in college, he went undrafted. Now, Ron Crimson is the Undrafted Free Agent.

Contact the Undrafted Free Agent

Interested in informing the Undrafted Free Agent of his mistakes, advertisement opportunities, or a scoop on the latest sports scandal? (You can guess which is more likely.) Well, email him at undraftedfreeagent [at] gmail.com.

Look at This!

There's nothing here; I just needed to fill some space. Space eater! Space eater! Space eater! Space eater! Space eater! Space eater! Space eater! Space eater! Space eater! I also needed to balance it out a bit.

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP